When looking to purchase a gun, it is essential to consider whether buying a new gun or a used gun is right for you. With a wide range of new and used options out there, be sure to weight the pros and cons of each option to ensure you are choosing what best suits your needs and your budget.
Federal Firearms’ gun shop in South Hills features a range of both new and used guns, so we have put together some information to help you decide which option best fits your needs.
What to Expect When Buying a New Gun
Buying a new gun comes with a variety of benefits such as:
- Freedom to choose caliber, color, sights, size, grips, manufacturer, accessories, etc.
- Ability to have the gun you want special ordered to the store if it isn’t in stock
- Protection of the manufacturer’s warranty and in some cases, the gun store’s assistance if you have any issues with the gun manufacturer
Another benefit of buying a new gun is that you get to enjoy all of the extras that the manufacturer decides to include, such as a box or case. The majority of the cases that come with guns today are made from a durable polymer and can be locked with a padlock, providing you with a way to safely store and transport your gun. Your purchase will also include a trigger lock as well as a cleaning kit, owner’s manual, and disassembly tools to help keep your firearm secure, clean and functioning correctly.
When buying a new gun, it is crucial to keep in mind that you will likely be paying full price. If the gun you are purchasing is in high demand or is difficult to find, you may even end up paying more than full price for the gun.
What to Expect When Buying a Used Gun
When purchasing a used gun in good working condition, you can expect to save between and 20-30% or more when compared to the cost of a brand-new gun. Keep in mind that it is your job to determine if the used gun is in proper working condition, so be sure to check that all the controls of the gun function the way they are supposed to. Here are some tips for checking the quality of different used guns:
- Check that all safety devices are completely functional.
- For a grip safety, squeeze the trigger without pressing the safety to see if it works and for a thumb safety, activate the safety and try to squeeze the trigger.
- Deactivate the safety and then dry fire the gun in both single and double action modes, making note about how the trigger feels. It shouldn’t be gritty or too heavy to squeeze. Also, test the de-cocking mechanism if applicable.
- Check the barrel, looking for any bulges, rust, pitting, is uneven wear. Rings inside of the barrel are a bad sign. Also, make sure the muzzle end of the barrel is not excessively worn or damaged.
- Another way to check for quality is to check that the takedown lever is working and disassemble the gun. If it is excessively dirty, this may indicate that the gun was not well taken care of and may have some issues.
- Make sure the chamber aligns properly with the barrel
- Check to make sure there is no play in the cylinder, particularly when the gun is cocked.
- Check that the trigger functions properly. Be sure you can’t push the trigger forward once the gun is cocked.
- Squeeze the trigger in both single and double action to ensure it is not too heavy to too light.
- Check for excessive wear and tear on the gun. If it looks beat up, this may indicate it was not adequately cared for.
Since you have to determine the quality of a used firearm, it is crucial to take your time to inspect and test the gun before purchasing to ensure you are receiving a quality deal.
Visit Federal Firearms for Your New and Used Gun Needs
Federal Firearms is your premier firearm dealer in the South Hills. We carry a wide range of new and used handguns in a variety of name brands including Glock, Ruger, Taurus, Smith & Wesson and more!
We will work with you to help find the gun that best suits your needs. Our knowledgeable, friendly staff is available to answer any questions you may have about the gun or the purchasing process. We also offer a full selection of holster, accessories, and ammunition for your gun as well as gunsmithing services to help you with repairs, adjustments, and customization of your gun. Contact us today to learn more!